Sunday, June 6, 2010

Church Under the Bridge - Waco, TX

So I have a summer internship at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. I arrived late May and will be leaving early August. When I accepted the offer, one thing I was especially excited about was checking out some Texas churches. Up in Dallas there's Matt Chandler's Village Church. I've listened to Chandler's podcasts in the past and loved them. To be honest, and it's horrible that I don't know this, but I'm not sure if he's back to preaching or not after having surgery on his brain tumor. Of course, down in Houston is Joel Osteen's church, Lakewood Church. If you know me, you know that I'm not a fan of Joel Osteen. I think he preaches lies through the prosperity gospel. It sickens me to see his books fly off the shelf. Either way, I feel I need to go just to experience it. I'm told that the church meets where the Houston Rockets used to play.

Then there are two churches in Waco I planned on attending. David Crowder's University Baptist Church is one. I think that's where I'll go next weekend. Him and his band perform there for worship most Sundays. The other Waco church I wanted to experience was Church Under the Bridge. I originally heard about it when reading Shane Claiborne's The Irresistible Revolution. They meet under I-35 right next to the campus. Their tagline is: black, white, brown, rich and poor, educated in the streets and in the university, all worshipping the living God, who makes us one. That phrase is so fitting.

First off, let me shoot straight with you: it's hot. Now, we're under the freeway so there's some shade, but the temperature was pushing three digits. But still people streamed in. People from all walks of life. Black, white. Homeless, well-off. Folks in wheelchairs, folks covered in tattoos. People lighting cigarettes and others raising hand in Hallelujah. A dude on stage pretending to play a pink guitar, then walking through the crowd giving high-fives. Gravel is your sandals, sweat down your back, and the love of Christ in your heart. This service was beautiful.

When I arrived the preacher had everyone (estimating 100-150 people...but I'm bad at guessing numbers like that, so it could have been more) get in small groups and read the sermon on the mount. Sadly I did not get into a small group. They started right before I got there, I was taking pictures, and I couldn't find an open folding chair. Admitedly, those are all poor excuses. After that, there was some worship music and announcements. One gentleman came up front and sang some beautiful gospel music. The song must be called something like "Battlefield for the Lord".

Early on I received a handout titled "Personal evaluation of your life in Christ." It had 21 areas of your life, and you were to rank it 1-5, with 1 being excellent, 2 equaling good, 3 representing so-so, 4 being poorly, and 5 stating terrible. The categories ranged from prayer life and Bible reading to encouraging the prisoner and moral purity. Once the pastor started his message he went through each and everyone one and had the worshipers raise hands to whichever number they felt they were. He then briefly talked about how important it is to grow as a Christian. The most ironic moment of the entire morning was when he spoke on taking care of our bodies and the woman next to me lit up her marlboro. Haha, God bless Texas!

We finished up with another song. The morning wasn't over, though. A homeless couple, or perhaps a couple who had met while homeless, were to be wed! Absolutely amazing. I mean, I was in the congregation for a special part of these two lives.

This church is unbelievable. All sorts of God's people worshipping together under a bridge. All I could think about the entire time is that Jesus loves this. This is the kind of congregation he'd stand before and preach. I still plan on attending the other three churches I mentioned, but I have a feeling I'll be at this one a few more times before I head back north.

Pictures to follow...

2 comments:

  1. I loved Irresistible Revolution! And I just finished reading Jesus for President by Shane Claiborne - another great book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I'm quite up for "Jesus for President" yet. Now and then I think I am, but then old school conservative ways prevent me from reading it. One day I'll just jump in and go for it!

    ReplyDelete