Thursday, March 26, 2009

Here's to the Future

So, long time no blog, huh?

Yesterday I received an unexpected email from West Chester University accepting me into grad school. What was unexpected is that they didn't interview me. I mean, my name written on a piece of paper is typically enough to make men everywhere jealous and all women swoon, but I figured they would want to at least meet me before accepting me.

As good news at that was, it was a little disappointing because I was hoping to hear from my first choice, the University of Delaware. They had told me they would contact me mid-week this week, and as Wednesday ended, I was becoming pretty anxious. Well today I received an email from the head of the department saying they were recommending me for admission to the graduate studies board! I guess things are officially official, but my impression is that it is merely a formality. So now all that's left to do is to secure a grad assistant position. I really want a hall director job. All assistantships pay full tuition, but a hall director gets free housing. Bonus, the guy whom I met while interviewing at UD said he felt that hall directors get special treatment. I like that, whether it's true or not. In addition, a hall director this coming year will receive $11,000 in stipend. Any other position will receive $15,000, but does not get the free room.

I guess some of my goals are actually coming to fruition. This is new to me. I'm used to having ridiculously lofty goals (re: professional baseball player) or no goals at all. Now that this is within my grasp, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I know this is the right decision. Teaching is not for me. I really wish it was, but it's not. I like the idea of being somebody important in a community, being a mentor to students, etc. The negatives are just too much, though. Things like constant new paperwork. New acts being passed every year. Pain in the butt students. Pain in the butt parents. Pain in the butt administration. It really just never ends. And I've had great experiences with all those parties, it's just that a few bad ones can overshadow it all.

Even though I know this is the right decision, it's hard for me to want to follow through. It's another two years until I'm really out on my own. I'll be 27 when I graduate. I was supposed to be married at 25 with kids on the way at around 27 or 28. So much for the life plans you make up in high school, huh? But this is different. It's not undergrad. I will have an on campus job. I'll be out of my parents' home. And at the completion of these two years, I will have both a B.S. in Education and an M.A. in Higher Ed. Counseling: both major accomplishments. On top of that, I will be very marketable for a real, permanent job. Stability. I haven't had that in a long time. Even grad school will provide more of that then I've had the past three years. Long-term subbing wears on you. It's your classroom, but only for a little while. The room is never really yours.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. It will be a good experience.

As a parting note, I'm really stoked (from the 90's much, am I?) about the 2009 baseball season. I turned off the Baseball Today podcast on my drive home, and talked to myself for 15 minutes about this coming season. Mostly about how I think the Reds and Marlins are really, really dangerous, and how they both remind me of Rays from last year. Not that I think either team will even make the playoffs, just that after many bad years, there will be significant improvement.

Anyway, I'm watching Villanova and Duke until I fall asleep. Me watching college basketball? Wow, I've changed. GO 'NOVA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment