Sunday, January 25, 2009

Horrible, Horrible Irony

Last night I was at a Christian bookstore perusing the sparse shelves which is to be expected when it is late January during a month-long inventory clearance sale. At this time I was back in the music section failing to locate Fiction Family, however able to pick up Emery's last EP. Unexpectedly, this older man (somewhere between 40 and 50 probably) walked behind me where the rap/hip-hop section was and said, "Hip-hop? I don't think Jesus would have listened to that!"

Full of tact, I immediately turned around and started scanning the hip-hip section. Note, the man kept walking, but must have clearly seen me. I determined right then out of principle that I must purchase a hip-hop CD. Which I did. It happened to be someone who goes by Kaboose. I had never heard him before, but I played it on the scanner thing they have and it sounded pretty good. Now, I don't like much rap but I was really furious about this guy's comment. Jesus wouldn't listen to it? I really felt like asking what music he listened to. If it was anything sung in English I would have been all over him stating that Jesus didn't SPEAK English, and therefore wouldn't listen to what he liked either. It would have been a glorious moment.

So this morning the irony hit me. As judgmental as this man was towards the hip-hop community, I was being just as judgmental towards him. Now, don't get me wrong, I still absolutely disagree with his comment. I think Jesus can speak through any means of music. I can't stand gangsta rap, but that doesn't mean that the music is bad, it's just that how certain rappers use the medium is bad. But anyway, I turned around and judged a man I didn't even know. Since the Australian Open is going on, I think we'll just call that a "double-fault."

So though God has given me a great gift of discernment as to what goes against His teaching and love, my prayer is that I don't use this gift to judge others, but rather to protect Jesus' church and, when possible, teach others.

No comments:

Post a Comment